A summary of the duties and responsibilies of the Clerk of Circuit Court include:
* Keeping record of all judgments, orders and decrees for the court.
* Certifiy and attest to any court filed documents where a complete court record is required.
* Maintain all records of pleadings, motions, papers, evidence and court rulings of the court.
* Receives complaints and initial pleadings in matters brought before the court and may place cases on the court docket.
* Issue summonses and subpoenas to witnesses ordering them to appear in court.
* Issue personal service or sheriff service for Defendants on court cases.
* Charge and receive court costs and fees in connection with court actions.
* Receive payments of fines and money judgments levied by the court.
* Process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses.
* Process new passport applications.
* Collect child support payments.
* Administer all federal, state, county, municipal and special elections for Shelby County.
Clerk's Office Hours:
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
* When applying for a protective order, the protective order packet must be completed and returned to our office to be processed by 3:00 p.m. The person filing for the protective order must appear in person and will be required to speak with court staff after the paperwork is processed.
* All new court filings will not be processed after 3:30 p.m.
* Passport applications must be completed and ready for Clerk's review prior to 3:30 p.m.
* When applying for a marriage license, this process must be started prior to 3:30 p.m. Our office encourages the applicants to go online and start the marriage application process. This will reduce the amount of time for the applicants and our staff to finalize the application. To apply online, go to http://www.in.gov/judiciary/selfservice/
* Should you appear at the Clerk's counter after these designated times, we will not be able to process your request until the next business day.