To obtain a marriage license at our office as a Shelby County resident, the following is required:
1. Both parties must appear.
2. At least (1) applicant must be a resident of Shelby County.
3. Both must be at least (18) years or older. If either applicant is (17) years or younger, a parent must be present to give consent.
4. You must be getting married within (60) days of the license being issued.
5. Present a valid photo I.D. (Ex: Drivers License, I.D. Card).
6. Bring $18.00 cash for the license fee.
If you are a non-resident of Indiana, you may obtain a marriage license from our office ONLY if you will be married in Shelby County. You will need to meet all the requirements listed above. However, the fee for a non-resident marriage license is $60.00.
You will be asked questions regarding your mother and father (full name, address, state of birth). You will also be asked about any previous marriages. Please make sure you know the date your last marriage ended, whether in annulment, death or divorce.
Please note that when applying for a marriage license in the Clerk's Office, this process must be started by 3:30 p.m. Our office encourages the applicants to go online and start the marriage application process. This will reduce the amount of time for the applicants and our staff to finalize the application.
For further information about marriage licenses or to begin the application process online, please go to "Links of Interest", select "Indiana Self Service Legal Center" and then select "Apply for a Marriage License" under "Features".